My parent's church held their spring rummage sale on Saturday and the sweet shoppe needed baked goods. You know that rule about not trying new recipes on large groups of people? Well, I never follow it.
If you have read any of the Pioneer Woman blog entries or peered at the shiny photos in her "cooking" section, then you too would think "Hey, that looks like something I could do." And then you would get caught up in her weekly contests for kitchen appliance giveaways and Kindles and gift cards and what-have-you. The Pioneer Woman (P Dub for short) has a huge following, so I don't really aspire to win anything, but her website is pretty fun to troll around.
Anyway, she had this entry that was pretty intrigueing and Eliz even tried out the frosting and raved about it. So I thought I'd experiment on the folks at my parent's church and the people who came to the rummage sale this week-end.
First, the warm-up: a double batch of rice krispie treats.

Next, the piece de resistance. I finagled 36 out of the recipe that is supposed to feed 24. I kept 12, but Olivia either ate or gave away the extras to her friends in the neighborhood, so now we have none.

Here's the recipe for "The best chocolate sheet cake (or cupcakes) ever" (Didn't have buttermilk, so I subbed sour cream and it still turned out pretty darn good.) The link has a frosting recipe, but I used the one below because it's called...
"The best frosting I've ever had" . If you have no patience, then use a stand mixer. (BTW. P Dub has been giving away stand mixers on her website).
And tonight I made Fettuccine Alfredo for the first time, because whipping cream was on sale last week and I stocked up and now have no room in the fridge. We only had spaghetti pasta in the pantry, so I'm going to call this "Freddie Spaghetti" because this recipe is a keeper and is so painfully easy and the McCormick powdered packet is just NASTY. Next time, I'm going to mince 4 cloves of garlic and sautee it in the butter before adding the rest of the stuff.
Yummy! I will definitely try out the chocolate cake recipe. That frosting is weird, huh? It's amazingly good for what's in it. I like the name of your new pasta dish...and yes, garlic and butter make everything better. Mmm!
ReplyDeletelooks delicious
ReplyDelete